Thursday, July 23, 2009

BEIJING

Ken is the white dot at the top!


Ken halfway up...another part of the wall behind
Hutong City

Water Cube




Bird's Nest





BEIJING (JUNE 25,26,27)
After the ordeal at the airport, we all safetly arrive at the Renaissance Beijing Thursday afternoon. Some took naps...I fought to stay up until 730pm due to the time change. Ken went out for a walk and I think made it until after 9pm... Scary but I don't remember him coming back to the room I was soooo asleep. 1:30 am, I'm awake! Glad I brought 3 books. Friday morning there are a few of us families who venture down to the Olympic park. Neat place. We didn't go into the Bird's Nest, but we did decide the Water Cube was worth a visit. Being a swimmer, had to take pictures of the place Michael Phelps made history! We also did some shopping today. Had to get pearls, so off to the Pearl Market we went. I decided I wanted something different than the classic strand and wanted to incorporate jade...this will be passed to Harbour when she's older (18 or her wedding day). Hutong City was the next stop. It's an old historic city where you can travel the streets by (bicycled) rickshaw. We stopped to see a dwelling and were able to go inside. It's neat how the guide was describing the fundamentals of where each family member lived based on gender and rank.

Saturday was a long and eventful day. The entire group met up to tour TienAnMen Square, the Forbidden City, and the Great Wall. TS and FC were neat to see, but so much time was spent that I felt we were rushed at the Great Wall. It was an overcast day so the pictures didn't turn out wonderful, but what a site to see. There was some confusion as to the tier's at the wall, but I think I made it to #3 and Ken went to #5. We were told that if we return to China, the best time to see the Great Wall is in the Fall....not as hot and clearer days.


It was wonderful to meet all the new families and we are praying for safety in travel and a wonderful easy "gotcha day" for all....

No comments:

Post a Comment